Friday, January 13, 2006

Assignment Woes

Okay, so I evidently I lied in my end of the year letter. I got news the other day that we are now definately NOT going to DC. Evidently AFPC gave my assignment to someone else when I was still on the chopping block for Force Shaping. Now, of course, I'm left with the dregs of the assignment list since nearly everything from my cycle has been filled. My CC is trying to work a couple of things for me, so, at this point, it looks like we may end up at Los Angeles AFB or Wright Patt (in Ohio). I'm not holding my breath, though. I checked out the "must fill" list and most of the assignments aren't too bad (they can't keep my overseas for another assignment without my express agreement so we are definately coming back to the States). The only one I would be really disappointed with is probably Hill (which is in nowhere Utah), but all the others would be acceptable. Ft Meade is even on there, so we could conceivably end up in Maryland anyway (although that is somewhat unlikely since it is another SIGINT assignment and the AF wants to "broaden" our career knowledge so they don't like to send you to a similar type of job). At any rate, I'll be sure to post when I hear anything. It is just very disappointing since all I'd been hearing up to this point was that my assignment was a 99% for sure thing and we were just waiting to hear back the confirmation from AFPC. And, of course, we really wanted to go to Maryland since we planed to buy a house there. We'll be alright no matter where we end up, together and happy to be in the same country as our loved ones, but it would be very nice to know where we're going since we leave in less than 3 months! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you won't be going to the DC area as you planned. But as you say at least you will be on the came continent as your family. Maybe you will end up closer to us - that would be great.

Susanne said...

Well...Where ever you go...I hope it's closer than Japan so I'll make sure to find some time to visit:)

Anonymous said...

how disappointing! I'll keep my fingers crossed you don't end up in bumblef*ck, UT. At least in Bumblef*ck, OH you are a little closer to Stef.

Laura said...

Oh no! I was so hoping that we'd end up in DC together!! At least if you go to LA you'll have nice, warm, sunny weather year round!

Anonymous said...

mom said you might hear today- any updates yet?

Anonymous said...

Howdy Nikki,

Well, If you end up in MD, maybe I'll actually get to see you & the fam. Last time I saw you was when you were preggers with Caitlyn. One drawback to Ft. Meade area though (besides the crappy drivers) is that real estate is through the roof here. But you would be about 20 mins from DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis. Anywho, hope all works out well for you.

Leslie Taylor-Nieves