Monday, October 24, 2005

Caitlyn's Room


I just realized that an inordinate amount of my blog is devoted to Jocelyn, so I thought I ought to dedicate this post to my other amazingly smart and adorable kid (you know, the one that came first). Caitlyn is such an awesome kid, and I am such a lucky mom. I am constantly amazed by how smart she is. She is reading 4th and 5th grade chapter books (she likes the Goosebumps series and anything Scooby Doo) when most kids her age can barely write a three word sentance. She's got this great group of friends at school where her favorite subjects are Math, Journal Writing, PE, and Culture (since we live in Japan, Mr. Yamagucji teaches the kids Japanese words, songs, dance, etc.). She also has some good friends in the neighborhood, particularly one little girl named Mika, despite the fact that neither of them speak the other's language.

Caitlyn is also a great big sister. She really loves Jocelyn and takes every opportunity to show her off to anyone and everyone we run into. And, she is so helpful. When I change Jocelyn's diaper, Caitlyn gets me everything I need and throws away the old one (no, she wants to do this!). She also likes to help me in the kitchen, although this can be very hard to do. We have a very tiny kitchen with almost no counter space, so it makes it very difficult to let her help without it being somewhat dangerous. She is also a very compassionate and empathetic little girl. This past weekend we watched Batman Begins as a family (great movie, btw!) and Caitlyn got very upset at the beginning part where Bruce Wayne's parents are killed.

She is just doing so well, leaps and bounds over where she was at this time last year, that I felt I had to brag a little about her too!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Well, it's not surprising that Caitlyn's turned out so smart considering who her parents are :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear she is doing so well! Keep us posted on what the hell is going on with you and living in Japan or what.