Tuesday, April 05, 2005

What's In a Name

*sigh* Just finished reading some of my dear friends' blogs and realized what a horribly boring life I lead. It's all work and no play and since I can't share info about my work, I'm left with very little to say :( Luckily, I do have one interesting piece of info that even a trip to Berlin can't top...

We're Having a Girl!!
Yes, it's true, the Podolny curse is still in effect. I am beginning to believe there will never be another Podolny male child. My father is convinced this is God's merciful of letting our tongue-twister name die out, and I'm inclined to agree. Not that we're at all disappointed! In fact, the great name debates have begun anew now that we have a gender assigned. Tim and I are engaged in a battle of epic proportions over what should be the simplest of things. The biggest problem is that he hates all of the names that I like, and I think all of the names he likes sound like 80-year old Italian grandmas. Let's take a poll, shall we? Here are some of the names I like:
Edith (Edie) - I know it's a little old fashioned but it happens to be the name of my favorite author (Edith Wharton), plus it reminds me of the Edith and Mr. Bear books :)
Stephanie - It might be my sister's name, but at least we all know it goes well with Podolny! (Besides, she's a Shaterian now, anyway)
Audrey - Who doesn't think that Audrey Hepburn was one of the most elegant women of all time?!
Anya - a good Slavic name
Celeste - Yes, it's French, but it's also the name of Babar's wife :)
Now, here are some of the names Tim likes:
Marie - ummm, ick?
Linda - It's just so fifties!
Alyssa - This actually wouldn't be too bad, but one of his ex-girlfriends was named Melissa and, to me, Alyssa is just too darn close to that
Emmy Lou - From the George Strait song we both love, except we are both Yankees and Emmy Lou Podolny sounds retarded
Madison/Cheyenne/Mercedes, etc. - Ugh! I detest trendy names!
So, beloved friends and readers, we welcome your comments and baby name suggestions. We've got a while to ruminate on it, so there's no hurry (no need to rule ou Edith right away, you'll see that it grows on you ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that of the names you listed Audrey and Marie are the best (and how can you insult the name Marie? It's pretty!) How about Audrey Marie Podolny?!

Anonymous said...

Nicole Alexandra (emmy lou) Podolny
Perfect right?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the name Edith! anya is very beautiful too. The nurse who took care of me during my labor spelled it Anja. congratulations on bringing another girl into the Podolny fold!

Susanne said...

Madison....too trendy. Alyssa? Only if you want her to become super stuck up...and that just not a Pa-dol-nie trait:)!! Not one that I've met anyway.

I agree with Laura, Audrey is simple and elegant!

Anonymous said...

I love Edith too (edie is a great short name!). Any chance of using some of our ancestors' names in there? Nicole Irma Podolny has a nice ring. Or if you're feeling cruel, I believe we have a great grandmother named Fanny.

Anonymous said...

Dad:

I really like Alyssa as well as Anya. Edith! I remember the Mr. Bear stories. You don't need a second daugher like that! How about Anya Alyssa Podolny (AAP). Sounds like an organization. Find another middle name with an R. Don't any other men respond to your blog. Oh that's right we're eliminating all the male Podolny's