Saturday, November 02, 2013

I Am the Worst Photographer

Since our adult Halloween party fell on the same day as the CLO's kids Halloween party this year, Husband and I split up to accomplish both party preparations and trick-or-treating. I forgot the camera, so I had to use my phone to take pictures of the kids, but, honestly, I don't think the medium much matters. I am the worst photographer ever. This is not unusual considering my complete lack of artistic ability. It is incomprehensible to me considering that the art gene runs pretty strong in my family. My mother is very arts and craft-y and is an excellent photographer in her own right. My older sister spent her whole life devoted to music and theater, including a 4-yr stint at a school for the arts and a major in musical theatre. My younger sister is a visual artist and graduated with a degree in art (before she realized that being a starving artist is way less fun in practice than when romanticized and returned to school to get her MBA, lol!). My oldest daughter is in the school choir and loves to sing, and my middle daughter has my mother's artistic touch. J is taking two art classes this year on top of her girl scout crafts. She can't get enough of being creative. And then there's me.... Just to give you a taste - here are the best of the pictures I captured this year:






The kids were Pocohontas and a ghost buster, btw. C deemed the CLO party "too babyish" this year. She did not dress up but instead went out with some friends to a movie and then had a sleepover. I imagine if we were in the US and it was more of a festive atmosphere she would have had a different reaction, but she seemed happy with her evening. Anyway, just as a comparison, here's a quick photo snapped by my friend W at the same event:


Depressingly different! At least Husband seems to do a pretty good job at documenting most of our adventures, so the kids aren't doomed to a lifetime of terrible childhood photos.

4 comments:

alexis said...

you guys did more than we did for halloween, which was zilch this year. Even C did more, so I guess credit where credit is due. :)

Michael Podolny said...

Maybe you take after the other parent...the one who has no artistic capabilities whatsoever.

Bernice said...

Even though the picture is blurry, the ghost buster looked like he was getting a few. Ghost buster on Halloween - how apropos.

Lindsey said...

hahahahahaha - i SO know how you feel. i feel the same way every time husbear grabs the camera ... you can instantly see the difference. hope your halloween party(s) were fab! sorry we missed the festivities :(