Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blog Silence = Busy as Shit

First off, happy Mother's Day, everyone! Secondly, I know it appears like I'm slacking on blog posts, but in reality I have been writing blog posts for our new Wellness program at the Embassy, so I haven't exactly been shirking my duties (just here at the Corner, but I know you all will forgive me). We've also been socializing like crazy. The FS is slightly different from the military in that there only two real transfer seasons, summer and winter. Summer transfer season is the bigger one since most families with school age kids rely on being able to move when it's less intrusive for their children. So we've been saying goodbye to all the amazing friends we've made over the last year, which has been really hard (isn't always worse when you're the one being left behind?). I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself as it began to seem like all the people we've grown close to just happen to be leaving right now! But, we went to dinner at a friend's last night, and she had invited several other couples who are also going to be here for a while and it struck me that there are people left at Post whose company we truly enjoy and perhaps, just perhaps, all is not lost and I shouldn't contemplate throwing myself into hermitage just yet.

We've also been continuing our plan of stepping out of our comfort zone. We even went out in the middle of the week...more than once! Just last week we went to the Aerosmith concert at the Mall of Asia and had a total blast. The company was great, and I was shocked at how many Aerosmith songs I not only knew but actually kind of liked. And Steven Tyler, seriously, when you're 70 and can still stage hump, you know you've still got it. Now we've got plans for a Ladies Karaoke night just so we can bust out our rendition of Walk This Way (the version with Run DMC, cause we're badass like that). With our trip to Coron and R&R in Hawaii on the horizon, we're looking at two more weeks of crazy socialization to cram in dinners with all of our departing friends before either we leave on our extended vacation or they leave post for good. It's a rough life.

In other news, I've moved sections. This assignment had me on a rotation to two sections, one for a year and one for the other year (with a brief interlude in ACS, as you'll recall). So now we've most definitely into our 2nd year. It's a bit anti-climatic, actually. I'm not convinced I'm going to love it just yet, but I've had lots of colleagues whose opinions I respect swear up and down that the boredom actually translates into some kind of zen-like tolerance, so I'm hanging on for that! ;)

With all this crazy galavanting about, we've also been eating at a lot of new restaurants. I'll save my reviews for another post (mainly cause I'm watching Amazing Gumball with my kids), but in just the last few weeks we've been to Wildflour, Sala, Cav, Tsukiji (again), and we have plans to go to the Peninsula Hotel next weekend and two other dinners which we haven't picked restaurants for yet. What can I say - we's crazy!

3 comments:

alexis said...

dude, if I had half your social life I'd be exhausted.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Waiting through the silences is worth it for an update! Glad to hear so many fun things are going on in your life.

Michael Podolny said...

Looking forward to the 'best of' restaurants when we visit :)