Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fitness Friday: Burn Out

Oh mah gah, haven't done a fitness Friday in foh-evah. I know, you're all devastated. Well, tough shit. I can't blog about worky work* so you're stuck with this. Still pretty fucking awesome, huh? 102 and kickin' ass. What's your excuse?

Ok, so I've actually toned it down a bit lately. After all the marathon training, I was sooooooo burnt out that I kinds just didn't want to do anything. I actually ended up gaining a few pounds following our race because I just didn't feel like getting my butt out of bed yet I was still eating like I was in training mode. Not a good combination! Anyway, I've kind of been muddling through the last couple of month just doing whatever I felt like, which mostly wasn't cardio (especially after my AF pt test - now I had nothing to motivate me to keep the cardio going!). So when I tried to do an old tried and true HIIT workout a few days ago and I just about died, it hit me that I need to get back on the cardio train. The heart is like any muscle - it needs to be trained appropriately in order to keep functioning at its peak.

So, how do you get back in the saddle again after a major burn out? For me it's all about shaking up my routine and getting out of my comfort zone. After much cajoling, I sucked it up and overcame my fear of being trapped under the water and took up scuba diving. Turns out that I'm pretty fucking good at it and the fear is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. We've finished our pool classes, so now it's on to underwater dives. It doesn't seem like you're moving around the much when you're under the water like that, but I am ravenously hungry after our lessons, so I must be burning some pretty good calories. I also decided to take my on-land fitness back in an old, familiar, and much-loved direction by adding dance back into my regime. I managed to score a used set of Dream Body workouts from Fitness Fusion. I think in conjunction with my Buti classes, these are seriously going to kick me in the ass. I need a little funk in my fitness to keep me happy! Plus, these are the perfect workouts to keep me company while I galavant off on my mini-tour of SE Asia. First up? Japan. Konichiwa, bitches!

 *that just auto-corrected to wormy work, hah!

5 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

When I read a post like this, so focused on physical fitness, I wonder how you and I can even be related...

Have fun in Japan!

Bernice said...

I started an exercise class for Seniors(not sure the age you are a senior) but the majority are over 65. The biggest thing I noticed is that I breath deeper. I enjoyed the video of the 102 year old man.

Michael Podolny said...

So now you've got your Mom all freaking out that she should be learning to swim and snorkel and could never do scuba. Thanks.

alexis said...

considering my goal is to get to the gym once a month, I think you're doing well.

alexis said...

considering my goal is to get to the gym once a month, I think you're doing well.