Monday, February 25, 2013

Travel Bug

So after not going anywhere for our 1st 6 months here, my travel schedule has exploded. Since the beginning of the year we've gone to Palawan and Donsol locally, and I did 2 weeks in Hawaii. Next month I'm headed on TDY to Japan, then we're going on family vacation with my little sister & her family in Vietnam. Then we're going to Baguio (for fun and not for work this time!) and Guam before we head back to Hawaii for our R&R in June. And that's just the first half of the year! It only took me three weeks to finally catch up on my e-mail after my trip to Hawaii, so I think I'll have a full time job just keeping on top of my e-mail.

In other news, Husband and I are battling back against the inertia of Manila. The traffic here is so, so bad that people tend to get entrenched in their neighborhoods. It's hard to make plans, play dates, or any kind of dates with other people because it requires actually leaving your house and facing the Manila roads. But, we've recognized that we're are sick and tired of being trapped, and the lack of human interaction is wearing us down. So this weekend Husband held a poker night and I went out for ladies night on the town (my girl T and I struggled to stay out past 1am, but whatevs!). Then on Sunday we had three other families over for a big cookout and swim fest. It was a lot of fun to spend the day just hanging out with people whose company we enjoy, and the kids swam their butts off. I think that pool saw more action in one day then its seen since we moved in! The bummer is that two of the three families, along with a few other good friends, are all getting ready to PCS this summer *sigh*. Such is life in the FS, as soon as you make friends one or the both of you are headed off to new adventures elsewhere. The good news is that you always have friends all over world!

3 comments:

alexis said...

wow, that is some crazy ass travel plans. I guess that is what you signed up for :)

Go you for fighting the inertia. We have the same but with the weather. You just have to push through.

Michael Podolny said...

Really glad you and Tim are getting out.

allison said...

We're hoping to travel a lot once we get settled in Manila, we're headed there this June! We had lots of friends going into A-100 so we've already said lots of goodbyes but you're right we'll always have friends around the globe!